Search for Tech, Games, and More!

Thursday, December 4, 2008

MMOs and the Economy

With all of the worries about fuel costs, collapsing industries, and employment loss, quite a few expenses have been cut across most families. I know a lot more people who stay at home to eat, rather than pay for an expensive menu. The fast food joints seem a lot more crowded, as do inexpensive retailers like Walmart. (Yes I’m cheap and tend to frequent these places even in a good economy).

People loose their jobs and careers and have to live on very little. New cars, jewelry, and other pretty accessories have started to get dropped. People aren’t going to the movies. They are dropping their animal friends at pounds because they can’t afford them anymore.

I know at least two or three people who now use an electronic scooter or manual bike to get into work. Even in the northeast where it’s freezing. People are cutting costs. I know I am.

I do see a few drop-outs in the games I play with other people. We have a lot of inactives in a guild that didn’t see that many inactive players previously.

On the other hand, I don’t think it’s all that bad for gaming. After all, especially with MMO’s, you pay an upfront cost, and then a small monthly fee to continue an entertainment that is otherwise cheap.

Granted, in WoW or other existing games, it’s cheap. You don’t need to worry about upgrading your system (think 2nd gen games, not 3rd gen like AoC), so you can play on the same machine you always have. You don’t need to worry about paying for extra gas to go anywhere. You can eat at home, spend time with your family and friends, and enjoy a fairly cheap entertainment lifestyle.

While I’ve always got a real life physical gift, I could see some people not being able to afford something physical to give to others this Christmas. In the mindset of the early years where we made what we gave people, we give people an electronic item. Like enough gold for a bear mount from Dalaraan. (that was a hint if there ever was one!)

In any case, I see people not quitting WoW first. I see them quitting the movies, and dinners first. I think it makes sense, and I wish more people entertained virtually as it would be an inexpensive way to have the expensive lifestyle we enjoyed before.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I rationalized MMO's like this before the economy even had problems. It's a seriously cheap form of entertainment. One month of WoW = 1-2 movies at the cinema. Etc.

Well, I'm not actually playing WoW and haven't for a while, but I still think the pricing model makes sense. Of course, there are a few good free games out there as well, and when you feel the budget shrink you might just migrate to those.

- Darein