Search for Tech, Games, and More!

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Crafting in MMO's

I'm sick of it.

No, really, I'm sick of it.

You know that feeling you get when you're about to start a new MMO (or one you've played forever) and you have to decide what crafting you want to choose? Then once you've ground it up to its highest level you suddenly discover it's not really all that fun, and there isn't much use for it for you anymore?

Yeah, that feeling. I'm sick of it!

I want a crafting profession in a game where for once the resources are cheaper than the items you sell. I want a crafting profession with items you can use at any point in time. I want one that is fun to grind up, and it needs to be something I can spend time doing instead of mindlessly killing my foes.

Is that too much to ask? Apparently, because I get this feeling in every MMO I've ever played, and I think it's going to happen forever. I understand the logic behind why it happens. Everyone who wants to craft doesn't want to get their own resources, so they pay (and pay high prices) to have other people get them for them. Then, because so many people are "x" profession, the price of the item you want to sell is pennies in comparision. You'd think that they'd eventually even out, but game economy is a strange thing.

I think real world economists should study gaming economy because in some ways some of this madness may be useful. Imagine if Iron was more expensive than the cars you bought? In games, we except not making a profit, but in real life profit is king.

Who knows, but I'm still tired of it.

No comments: